Regular screening for pancreatic cancer isn't just recommended for high-risk adults. As patients at increased risk are more likely to get sick. Pancreatic cancer screening is carried out with the aim of early detection of possible neoplasms. Due to the fact that the task of preventive diagnostics is not easy, the main diagnostic methods are: CT, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and traditional ultrasound (ultrasound).
Pancreatic cancer is difficult to detect. Therefore, it is important to take into account the individual risk factors for the development of pancreatic cancer when deciding whether or not to include gastroscopy in the personal examination program.
Pancreatic cancer risk factors:
- • Alcohol abuse.
- • Smoking.
- • Abundance of fatty and spicy foods.
- • Diabetes.
- • Cirrhosis of the liver.
- • Cholelithiasis.
- • Hereditary predisposition (5-10% of all cases of prostate cancer), Lynch syndrome.
- • Men over 60 years old.
- • Precancerous diseases:
- Pancreatic adenoma.
- Chronic pancreatitis.
- Pancreatic cyst.
If you fall into this risk group, you should be examined regularly. Be sure to coordinate your examination plan with your gastroenterologist.
Diagnosis of prostate cancer includes the following:
- • Consultation with a gastroenterologist, surgeon and oncologist to identify risk factors, exclude or confirm the disease, clarify the diagnosis, plan additional examination and treatment.
- • Low-dose computed tomography (CT or MRI) every year.
- • Ultrasound (every year).
- • Gastroscopy. This examination is used to exclude the involvement of the stomach in the tumor process (as indicated by the doctor).
- • Puncture biopsy - carried out under ultrasound control, allows for a histological examination of a biopsy specimen and verification of the diagnosis (as indicated by a doctor).
- • Laboratory tests - determination of the tumor marker CA19-9 is used in the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. The sensitivity and specificity of this analysis is 70-90% (as indicated by a doctor).
- • Diagnostic laparoscopy - to clarify the diagnosis and assess the prevalence of the process (as indicated by the doctor).
Along with regular check-ups, watch for any changes in your health. If you experience symptoms such as a persistent cough or chest pain, see your doctor right away.
Doctors of the NSC recommend to undergo regular preventive examination of the pancreas even in the absence of complaints. If you are at risk for a hereditary factor or due to chronic diseases, it is strongly recommended not to postpone the visit to the doctor.
Tests for pancreatic cancer survivors
If you have had pancreatic cancer, then you need an individualized test plan for recurrence. Check your examination plan with your doctor.
On the basis of the NROC, you can get a full examination within the “Gastroenterological” Check-up package.
At the NROC, you can undergo high-quality diagnostics, get a "second opinion" about the type of tumor cells in the diagnosis, and, if necessary, immediately begin and receive qualified treatment.
Citizens of Kazakhstan have the right to freely choose their doctor and medical organization in accordance with subparagraph 3, paragraph 1, Article 77 of the Code of the Republic of Kazakhstan "On health and the health care system".
In addition, the patient has the right to freely choose the organization of health care during planned hospitalization, which is enshrined in the order of the Minister of Health and Social Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated September 29, 2015 No. 761 "On approval of the Rules for the provision of inpatient care."